Thursday 12 January 2012

Bleeding Heart Tavern


I had a lovely lunch at The Bleeding Heart Tavern just before Christmas, which was a new place for me. I’ve not been to the more formal restaurant either, so I was keen to dip a toe in here. For some reason I was expecting something like The London Dungeon, all blood, guts and pigs' heads everywhere. I was only marginally disappointed, because what I got was a pub cum bistro with great staff and good grub.

It’s an old pub near Hatton Garden, and seems to balance the pub/restaurant dynamic with ease. The vibe is more Edwardian Dining Room of Gluttony than generic gastropub and it has 'great period features' as Foxtons' filth might say.

They own their own vineyard in New Zealand called Trinity Hill which pushes out the house wines; we tried a pinot noir and a shiraz and both were excellent, especially for the price (£4ish). Didn’t ask about the wine miles!


To eat, the bloggers’ nightmare: two people, stubbornly on the same main. It was the bavette steak, well-cooked with excellent chips. Pet peeve (at the risk of repeating myself as it was the same at LesDeux Salons) but the bavette wasn’t sliced to serve. Which I think makes it a bit of a faff as it’s not the easiest cut to slice correctly.

It was in a rich red wine jus, and good value at £12.95. Had some roasted parsnips on the side too, feeling all festive. They were sweet and with those burnt ends I love (£2.95).


Service was attentive and very friendly. The manager was great and topped up our wine – higher than the paid-for level! Of course we left buzzing and raving about the place, cheap dates that we are. Very shrewd!

The menu was extremely varied and there were numerous things I could have ordered – and will definitely go back for, like the rotisserie menu. It’s not as carnivorous as the name and reputation might imply either, and has a decent mix of people and buzz too. 

I wouldn’t say it’s a destination place but it’s very solid if you’re in the area. And especially if you fancy a cheap NZ winery tour!
Food – 7/10
Drink – 8/10
Service - 9/10
Value – 8/10
Tap water tales – 2/10 (not offered and then forgotten on request)
Staff Hotness – 8/10 (couple of French hotties)

Bleeding Heart on Urbanspoon 
Square Meal

No comments:

Post a Comment